The Church of God in Minot started very differently than was the norm for other churches of the denomination begun in the Dakotas, Montana or Western Saskatchewan. The common start of a church was for a leader to go into a community and seek out followers, however in Minot, the flock found the leader. Even those who were there at the beginning can not clearly point to the time the church started but what is known is how it began. Rev. Fred Frank, who was leading the small congregation asked Rev. Paul Walker to hold a revival in Minot, which led to the founding of the Minot Church of God. With the revitalized fellowship, Walker became the first pastor the Minot Church of God. There are reports of meetings being held in several locations before the first church was built.
In nineteen thirty, a very successful revival was held in a tent just south of the current Minot State University. At the close of the seven-week revival, the group purchased a lot on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Fourth Street NW. The members then dug a basement and developed a church. The basement church served for a period of years possibly into the early forties before the structure was placed above it. This building now houses the Minot Youth for Christ Program. The congregation, realizing the need for a larger facility, broke ground for a new church on Sixteenth Street NW on August 29, 1971 and dedicated the current church on December 3, 1972. There have been two additions to the structure since that time leading to the current facility.The name of the church evolved over time. Originally the congregation was known as the Minot Church of God, but with the organizing of the East Side Church of God in 1959, the name was changed in 1962 to the West Side Church of God and finally in the late sixties to the current name West Minot Church of God.